The content below is taken from the original (OpenStack Developer Mailing List Digest September 16-22), to continue reading please visit the site. Remember to respect the Author & Copyright.
- Should we have Upstream Institutes at the PTG? yay or nay
- Docs and i18n
Gerrit Upgrade Update From Infra
- Gerrit emails are slow, because it’s sending one at a time
- Web UI File Editor
- Behaving oddly. Might be because of API time outs. Gertty is also having reported problems.
Install Guide VS Tutorial
- Since the doc-migration, people have been having questions regarding the usage of “Install Tutorial” and “Install Guide” in the OpenStack manuals repository and project specific repos.
- The documentation team agrees this should be consistent.
- Tutorial’s literal translation is “paper, book, film, or computer program that provide practical information about a specific subject.”
- From PTG discussions, a distinction made was installation provides one of many possible ways to install the components.
- Consistency is more important than bike shedding over the name.
- Industry wise, what’s the trend?
Garbage Patches for simple typo fixes
- Previous thread from 2016 on this
- Various contributors are doing many patches that are typo, style changes.
- It has been expressed that this can cause CI resource starvation.
- TC created the Top 5 help wanted to help contributors know where the community needs the most identified help.
- This is a social issue, not a technical issue. Arguing about what is useful and what isn’t is probably not worth the effort here.
- Communication and education is probably the best solution here. For repeated offenders, off-list email could be fine to make sure the communication is clear. Communicating this in the new contributor portal and Upstream Institute would be helpful.